August 17, 2016
Dear Friend of the Rialto Theater:
First of all, we want to thank you so much for your generous contributions to the Historic Rialto Theater. Without gifts from people like you, we would be hard pressed to make opening the Rialto Theater a reality. With your help and our board’s tenacity, together we WILL make it happen! Below is an update for you on what has been going on recently regarding work on Florence’s signature theater.
- “Makes Good Sense” tube, which is a tall yellow tube that is placed in front of the theater daily for donations of coins and bills. We hope to raise at least $1000 through this effort.
- The Royal Gorge Bridge & Park has offered the Rialto Theater a benefit concert and all proceeds after expenses will be given to our theater. The Gin Blossoms will headline the show. This famous rock band began in 1987, with famous tunes including “Found Out About You” and “Follow You Down”. The concert takes place on Saturday, August 20th, and tickets are only $40.
- The Rialto Theater participated in Florence’s recent annual Barn Dance to raise funds. We sold slices of watermelon, water, soda pop, and slices of pies made by Beryl Baker and Beth Lenz.
- Larry Baker and other Rialto Board Members provided tours of the theater to interested ghost hunters this past weekend. We are now offering tours every Saturday, from 11a – 2p. Tours will also be provided on Florence’s Second Saturdays Art Walk, from 4:00-8:00pm.
- The Rialto Theater offered two winning participants free tickets to the Gin Blossoms concert during Trivia Night at the Florence Brewery this past Thursday.
- Board members of the Rialto Theater are working hard to get our CO (Certificate of Occupancy) and the theater opened before year end. Our first goal is to get the main floor opened for activities and events, and we are currently addressing all fire safety needs so that the building codes are properly met.
- The front of the stage has now been enclosed, answering fire safety concerns.
- A handicap ramp is currently being constructed for exit through the west double doors.
- Plans are underway to spruce up the front exterior of the theater with fresh paint. Additionally, repairs are being done on our neon sign so that, in the very near future, you can drive past the theater end enjoy our neon sign at night!
- Lots of clean-up work has been done by board members and volunteers in preparation for theater tours.
- The theater’s board room has been cleaned up and the Bakers recently donated a grand conference table to better facilitate the board’s bi-monthly meetings.
Simple ways you can Help
If you shop regularly at City Market, you can enroll in their Community Awards program where with each dollar you spend, the Rialto Theater receives a small percentage of your purchase, paid quarterly. Log on to www.citymarket.com to apply for a Value Card or to choose Florence Architectural and Cultural Traditions (aka Rialto Theater)
If you shop at Amazon.com, you can enroll in Amazon Smiles.com and many of your purchases will provide our theater with a small percentage, also paid quarterly. All of the products listed on Amazon are available on Amazon Smiles. Again choose Florence Architectural and Cultural Traditions as your charity of choice.
To access these sites, you can find links above or go to our web site: www.historicrialtotheater.org.
Future News Updates
You can now keep up with all the news regarding your historic Rialto Theater by going to the following sites:
Thanks again for being an important part of the future of the historic Rialto Theater!
Rialto Theater Board of Directors
Ron Hinkle – President
Todd Williams – Vice President
Larry Baker – Project Chair
Marty Burleson – Secretary
Dick Baker – Past President
Donna Murphy- Archives
Nancy Fenyves – Treasurer
Steve Steele-Project Committee